Consult a Doctor
What changes are happening?
In order to help you manage your pain safely and effectively, and to reduce harm from opiate medications, we are now working to the following guidelines.
- Strong opiates are powerful medications and won’t be used as a “general purpose” painkiller.
- New prescriptions will only be given for 7 days at a time.
- Requests for more strong opiates won’t be dealt with over the phone.
- You will need a review with a doctor or nurse if you feel you need another prescription of strong opiates after your first prescription.
- We won’t be able to replace lost medication – it is your responsibility to look after your medicines.
- Strong opiates will be restricted to short term use.
- Patients who do use opiates regularly will not be issued medication before the next prescription is due.
If you would like more information about opiates and pain please go to:
If you feel you may have become dependent on, or addicted to your painkillers, you get help locally by calling The Change Program on 01274 715860