Find out more about ‘The Five Parks Primary Care Network’ Click Here 

Accessing healthcare in Bradford District and Craven- More information 

Free Health Checks- Find Out More 

                 Meet Amy our Specialist Womens Health Dr at our Menopause Café

Contraception & HRTWant to start? Change or Discuss?




Vaginal Thrush

Vaginal Thrush

Thank you for attending for your swab test. It has shown that you have thrush or candidiasis . It is due to an infection with a yeast called Candida.

It is NOT a sexually transmitted illness.

More than half of all women will have at least one bout of thrush in their life. In most cases it develops for no apparent reason. Some women can get thrush after a course of antibiotics.

The discharge from thrush is usually creamy white and quite thick, but is sometimes watery. It can cause itch, redness, discomfort, or pain around the outside of the vagina.

If you have thrush, you may also find the following things help to relieve your symptoms:

• Avoiding wearing tight-fitting clothing, especially clothing made from synthetic materials. Loose-fitting, natural fibre underwear may be better.

• Avoiding using perfumed products around the vaginal area, such as soaps and shower gels, as these may cause further irritation.

The doctor has issued a prescription for the treatment of thrush. Please read the instructions carefully before using the treatment. If you are registered for electronic prescribing the prescription will automatically go to your nominated pharmacy. If you are not registered for electronic prescribing the prescription will be waiting for you to collect from your usual Ridge surgery. If you pay for your prescriptions than it may be worth speaking to your pharmacist as it is often cheaper to buy thrush treatment over the counter.

Please let us know if you think you may be allergic to this treatment before using it.

If your thrush does not clear with this treatment or becomes a recurrent problem please make an appointment with a GP. If you are getting thrush more than three times in a year then consult the doctor about what else might be causing this.

More information can be found on the NHS Choices website at